Fri, Jan 13|
4-Day Snowshoe Expedition
If you absolutely love the snow, cold and everything winter, you’re our kind of people! It’s tough to beat the deep snow and pristine wilderness of Upper Michigan.
Time & Location
Jan 13, 10:00 AM CST – Jan 16, 2:00 PM CST
Upper Michigan, 4103 County Rd B, Land O' Lakes, WI 54540, USA
About the Event
If you absolutely love the snow, cold and everything winter, you’re our kind of people! It’s tough to beat the deep snow and pristine wilderness of Upper Michigan. Join us for this challenging trek!
During this trip you’ll hone your winter skills and gain solid experience in deep snow country. We’ll work as a team to accomplish daily camp chores of processing firewood, water, camp set-up, meals, etc.
This trip is extremely limited. Only 10 spots available!
This is a traditional winter camping trip and we’ll travel over lakes and land by snowshoe pulling everything behind us (by our own power) on modern toboggans ideal for gliding over deep snow. Absolutely nothing is carried on our backs. At night we sleep in a canvas "hot" tent. We warm the tent, cook fantastic meals, and dry our clothes by the heat of a wood stove. Even if it’s -30F degrees outside, we’ll relax in amazing comfort inside the tent!
- Day 1: Meet Friday, January 13th at the put-in at 10 am. We’ll take about two hours to check gear, load toboggans, and shuttle vehicles before heading out to the frozen waterways.
- Day 2: After breakfast, we break camp, and load the toboggans. We’ll travel over several lakes and a few portage trails to our spot to set up camp. We’ll stay here for one night enjoying the beautiful landscape and deep snow.
- Day 3: After breakfast, we break camp, load the toboggans, and continue our journey.
- Day 4: We eat early, break camp, load up, and hike out.
NOW Outdoors has a reputation for fantastic food in the backcountry and this trip is no different. You can expect hot breakfast and coffee/tea in the mornings, hot soup and sandwiches on the trail for lunch, and hardy 1-pot dinners each night cooked over the wood stove.
>>If you have specific dietary restrictions, please let us know well in advance so we can make accommodations.
Difficulty: Challenging – A great attitude and uncommon excitement for extreme cold are required for this trip. A keen sense of adventure and flexibility is of the utmost importance. We will be hauling toboggans for several hours each day while snowshoeing. Previous experience winter camping and snowshoeing is a must. Temperatures could very well range from +30F to -40F. You will need to have the appropriate gear for these conditions. Some rental gear will be available and group gear is provided.
AS ALWAYS >>> You will receive a gear list once your payment is received (some items available for rent on a first-come first-serve basis).
- Tanks to hold your gear
- Group hot tents
- Wood stoves
- Group kitchen
- Emergency/med kit
- Incredible meals during the trek (lunch Friday – breakfast Monday)
- Purified water during the trek
- Axes/saws and other misc. group gear
Not included: Some gear items are available for rent
- Mukluks/boots (available for rent)
- Sleeping bags (-40F goose down bags available for rent)
- Personal items
- Snowshoes (available for rent)
- Duffel bags for organizing gear (availabe for rent)
- Rescue/trip insurance (recommended)
Price: $699 Final Payment deadline Jan 4th.
Use coupon code EBUP50 to save $50 by Nov. 1st!
Please contact us at Info@nowoutdoors.org with any questions.